Tuesday, May 22, 2012

…it’s B-a-r-c-e-l-o-n-a!


Ciao tutti,

I bring you updates on my latest international trip! Earlier this month I traveled to the Catalonian capital of Barcelona! It was my first time in Spain, and I had heard many great things about Barcelona. Luckily, this fantastic city definitely lived up to my high expectations.

We spent our first day exploring the city by foot, stopping by the statue of Christopher Columbus (funny story: apparently it is thought that in the statue Columbus is pointing to the “New World”, when in fact he is pointing to his homeland of Genoa, Italy).



We also strolled down the main pedestrian area of La Rambla, passing through La Boqueria, a large open market full of all kinds of fresh produce.

La Rambla


La Boqueria

La Boqueria

La Boqueria


We then found a place to sit down and order some sangria, followed by a stroll past the Casa Batlló to admire Gaudi’s interesting architecture.

Sangria in Spain

la Casa Battló, displaying the interesting
architecture of Gaudi


The next day we spent the morning walking along the harbor, eventually ending up at the beach. The weather was perfect all weekend long, so we had no complaints J




















After a quick siesta, we headed up to Montjuïc, a hill on the west side of the city. Atop this hill sits one of the greatest places (in my opinion) in Barcelona – the Olympic stadium! As host to the 1992 Summer Games, Barcelona has a great stadium as well as a fantastic Olympic museum, full of fascinating information about the Barcelona Games and Catalonian sports in general. I thought it was absolutely amazing and I wish I could have spent all day there.

Olympic and Sport Museum of Barcelona


inside the museum

inside the museum

inside the museum

Olympic stadium

inside the Olympic stadium



After that, we stayed at the Monjuïc area to watch the sunset and then see the show at the Font Màgica, a spectacular light show at the grand fountain at the base of Montjuïc.

looking out over Barcelona


Font Màgica

Font Màgica

Standing at the fountain, looking up at the MNAC
(the National Art Museum of Catalonia)

I had to include this somewhere:
an awesome statue of a thinking bull


On our third day in Barcelona, we spent the morning exploring the Gothic area of town before heading over to Parc Güell to observe some of Gaudi’s most amazing work. Take a look for yourself:

exploring the Gothic area


exploring the Gothic area

exploring the Gothic area

Placa Reial

Churros with hot chocolate!

At Parc Güell, looking out over Barcelona

Parc Güell

Parc Güell

Parc Güell

Parc Güell


We then stopped by the Sagrada Família. Unfortunately, this spectacular church was closed for the day due to a special event, so we weren’t able to see inside. It was quite a bummer because from what I’ve seen online, the inside is absolutely incredible.


The ever-present cranes (construction is
not expected to be finished until 2026)



We continued on towards the Gothic cathedral, where we were allowed inside:

























Our last morning we spent walking through the Parc de la Ciutadella, enjoying the sunshine and beautiful sights before having to head back to Bologna.








My attempt at being artsy



L'Arc de Triomf



















I miss Barcelona already. It is a great city, full of beautiful architecture and great food. Plus, I must admit that the whole “siesta” thing is pretty great – I don’t know if I’ll be able to work that into my daily schedule once I return to the States, but I sure will try!

Ciao for now,

Augusto

No comments:

Post a Comment