Thursday, May 31, 2012

…it’s l-a f-i-n-e!

(la fine = the end)

Ciao tutti (for the last time),

Time for some final thoughts. Feel free to listen to this song while reading.

Yes, the time has come. It is indeed “time to say goodbye.” The end is here, and I will be returning to the U.S. tomorrow. My semester abroad here in Bologna has been absolutely fantastic, and I have become so used to living here, so it is very strange and bittersweet to be leaving.

I am certainly excited to come home, to see all my family and friends, and to eat American food J However, I can’t deny the fact that Bologna has been my home for the past five months, and as such, it is hard to say goodbye to it.
I will miss studying firsthand Italian culture, history, art, food, and politics through my classes this semester.
I will miss being able to go to my favorite pizzeria or trattoria whenever I want.
I will miss strolling around the city at sunset (which Italians refer to as “la passeggiata”)
I will miss sitting in one of the many piazzas, enjoying some wine with friends.
I will miss my roommates, and being able to speak Italian with them.
Etc, etc… I could go on and on.

Obviously, I will miss a lot about Bologna, but the thing I may just miss the most is the food!  One thing you should all know about Italy is that it is the food capital of Europe. And one thing you should know about Bologna is that it is the food capital of Italy. Q.E.D.: I live in the greatest city on earth (food-wise).
Therefore, travelling around I was able to eat some great food across Italy and Europe; however, it was always great coming back to Bologna for the best food on earth J


PASTA

Learning how to make hand-made pasta back in January as part of a BCSP excursion:


































Ricotta-filled ravioli al ragù in Siena


noodles in chickpea soup in Tuscany

Fusili PPP (panna, piselli, pancetta)


Spaghetti alla carbonara

Tortelloni di ricotta al ragù

making some tortellini in brodo


Artichoke lasagna


Spaghetti with mussels



PIZZA


Gorgonzola and pear pizza in Torino


Pizza parmiggiana in Padova

The classics: pizza in Naples!


una pizza Margherita at my favorite pizzeria in Bologna,
Pizzeria Aldrovandi

A delicious asparagus pizza from my other
favorite pizzeria in Bologna, Spacca Napoli


una pizza sfiziosa at Pizzeria Aldrovandi



OTHER


the BEST salad

Pecorino and pear

aperitivi


Italian coffee :)



piadina with tuna and grilled onions in Ravenna

Some Greek food. (because we all need
a break from Italian fare once in a while)

The perfect combination (?)



DESSERT


panna cotta

tiramisù

chocolate tortellini!

gelato from Sorbetteria, one of my
favorite gelaterias in Bologna

Mascarpone, chocolate, and raspberry
gelato from Funivia, another favorite.



MARIPOSA

My all-time favorite restaurant in Bologna has to be Trattoria Mariposa. Not only does the menu consist of delicious Bolognese specialities, but the service is amazing and the ambiance is quaint and friendly. We loved this restaurant so much that we kept coming back regularly throughout the semester. We also made sure to always bring friends/family who were visiting, so they could experience some great food at our favorite spot!

Earlier today, as part of our last day in Bologna, Adrienne and I made sure to go to Mariposa for lunch. We didn't order much - just the tagliatelle al ragù (the speciality of Bologna) and some water. Afterwards, Miki (the woman who runs the restaurant with her boyfriend) gave both Adrienne and I huge pieces of her famous chocolate cake for free! (She told us to eat it for breakfast the next morning before our flight). As if that wasn't nice enough, when we went to pay for our meals, Miki wouldn't have it - she refused our money and told us that it was her pleasure serving us all semester and especially for our "ultima cena" (Last Supper). It was the nicest thing, and we were incredibly grateful.

So please, if you are ever in Bologna, stop by the Trattoria Mariposa. You will not regret it. I'm so glad I got to experience dining there so much during this semester.


the AMAZING torta cioccolata topped
with fresh mascarpone at Mariposa



Tagliatelle al ragù from Mariposa. In a word: Bologna.

Myself, Miki, and Adrienne at Mariposa




Anyway, back to my final reflections of the semester. (Cue Andrea Bocelli again). Yes, the food in Bologna was amazing. But overall, what I will miss most is this city being my home. This experience has made me become so much more independent and I can truly say I have grown a ton from living and studying here.
I’m glad I took advantage of travelling while I was in Europe (namely to fulfill my Olympic obsession by seeing all those Olympic stadiums and host cities).
I’m also glad to have gotten to visit with some old friends as well as make some new ones. Not only did this experience allow me to meet Italians, but I also became very close with other Americans in the BCSP program – friendships which I plan on continuing back in the U.S.

This process of reflection has been bittersweet, yes, but the one fact I keep coming back to is that this has truly been a once-in-a-lifetime experience. I will never get to see Europe like I have this semester. That much is true. So thankfully, I’m glad I took advantage of all that this experience has to offer – studying, eating, travelling, speaking Italian, making friends, living independently, etc.

And most importantly…
I think now after 5 months living here, we can all agree…
That Augie Bossu has a way with B-o-l-o-g-n-a!

Ciao for now,

Augusto

No comments:

Post a Comment