Tuesday, May 29, 2012

…it’s V-i-c-o-l-o P-o-s-t-e-r-l-a!

Ciao tutti,

Well, I did it. I have finally found my favorite street in Bologna. Actually, let me clarify: I stumbled upon this street back in January, during my first or second week here. But after living in Bologna for five months, and seeing many many other streets, nothing compares to this one (in my opinion). I can now say that my favorite street in this great city is Vicolo Posterla. Vicolo is a word for a small street or an alley, and Posterla as far as I know refers to a back entrance, like “postern.”

Anyway, Vicolo Posterla is not grand or extravagant: it’s a very simple, small street, but I love it. It’s quiet, quaint, and beautiful in a peaceful way. During my first few weeks here, as I was moving into my new apartment, I would walk down this street every day to go to my pre-session class, which was like a crash course in Italian to strengthen our language skills and cultural knowledge. There was obviously a lot of stress during those first few weeks (having to find an apartment, beginning this experience living in a foreign country, etc…) but I truly think that being able to explore the city and all its simple beauties (like Vicolo Posterla) helped me appreciate where I was and the experience upon which I was embarking.









It’s the little things like this that I think I’m going to miss the most about Bologna. I know that’s corny to say, but it’s true.
Bittersweet is the operative word to describe my feelings now that I only have three more days left here in Bologna before I return to the U.S. This is has been such a great and momentous experience for me, so it’s hard to believe that the end is so near.
The semester has FLOWN by, I can say that much for sure. But I’m getting ahead of myself. I’ll report back soon with some final thoughts before departing.

Ciao for now,

Augusto

No comments:

Post a Comment