Thursday, May 3, 2012

…it’s G-r-e-c-i-a!

Ciao tutti,


(Grecia = Greece)

As you might remember from earlier in my blog, my friend and roommate at ND, Troy, is currently studying abroad in Athens. He came to Bologna to visit me the weekend that we had our BCSP excursion to Lake Garda. Well last weekend, I got to repay the favor by visiting him in Greece! Our friend Brenna is also studying there with him. (In fact, Brenna is Adrienne’s roommate at ND, so Troy, Brenna, Adrienne, and I are doing a roommate-swap this semester between Athens and Bologna!) It was great to have us all 4 together, especially is such a beautiful setting as Greece!

We arrived in Athens late Thursday night, after a layover in Munich (I know… Geographically it doesn't make much sense). But the one positive was that we got to fly over the Alps and get some great views from the plane! Once we landed in Athens, we were bombarded by the Greek language, which really gave me the sense of being in a completely different world because the alphabet is so different!


flying over the Alps


Our first taste of the Greek language















Early the next morning we caught a flight to the island of Mykonos, staying there for two days. Mykonos was even more beautiful than I could have imagined – our hotel was right on the beach and the weather was perfect! It was a great, relaxing beach vacation. Exactly what we all needed J




flying over Mykonos

Brenna and I with our shades on, ready to go!

Our hotel

Our hotel

Myself, Adrienne, and Brenna ready to hit the beach!

Paradise found.




The lazy beach cat that kept us company




We went into Mykonos town in the evening to admire the beauty of this small island town.





Mykonos town

Mykonos town

We're in Greece!

Mykonos town


A typical Mykonos street at night











And don’t forget dinner! We enjoyed all the great Greek foods:



Saganaki!

Greek salad! (with a HUGE chunk of Feta)

Baklava!



I will admit, it was hard to leave paradise in Mykonos, but Athens was calling us. We only spent one afternoon in Athens, but it was definitely enough to get a great feel for the city and take in some of the sites.





Adrienne and I at the Acropolis. Unfortunately,
this was as close we could get to the Parthenon
as the site had closed for the day by the time
we got there.

Syntagma Square, where the Greek riots
occurred a few months earlier



As I have kind of made it a goal of mine to visit as many Olympic cities as I can, the Olympic track in Athens was a must-see for me because (as I’m sure you all know) this is where it all began! This Panathenaic Stadium is where the 1896 Olympics (the first Games of the Modern Olympiad) took place. I could not be happier being able to walk the track and sit in the stands. It’s no surprise that the Olympic track was by far my favorite thing we saw in Athens.


Troy and I at the Olympic track. You can see
the Acropolis with the Parthenon in the background.


Me at the Olympic track. I'm in heaven.



the Panathenaic Stadium, the birthplace of the
Modern Olympics

the athlete's tunnel

There was a small exhibit adjacent to the stadium
which displayed various Olympic posters and torches

outside the stadium



Brenna, Adrienne, and I (third, second, and first places,
respectively) enjoying ourselves on the medal podium.



We couldn’t leave Athens before having a gyro! So of course, Troy and Brenna took us to their favorite gyro place where I had the BEST gyro. I now have a newfound appreciation for these delicious creations (although I doubt I’ll be able to find one as good and as cheap as this one!)



The best Gyro I have ever had. From Grill and Pitta.



A delicious way to end a truly fantastic weekend.

Ciao for now,

Augusto

No comments:

Post a Comment